Mercury Glass Hydrangea Project

November 15, 2012 at 10:17 am (Creative adventures)

I have a few favorite blogs I peruse weekly.  One of them is Team Studer — I love reading about Tab’s adventures with her two children and darling hubby.  Another blog I read is One Creative Couple.  I took painting lessons from Paul and Cathy for about 5 years.  They encouraged my talent, encouraged my soul, and offered me friendship.

Paul and Cathy wrote a blog about creating distressed metal, aged pewter, and mercury glass.  The section on the mercury glass intrigued me.  I let the idea marinate in my brain…  Hmmmm…  I bought a bouquet of dried Hydrangeas from a booth at the Potato Festival and didn’t know what I was going to do with them.

I decided to use Paul and Cathy’s tutorial on creating mercury glass for my project. I will describe it here, but for in-depth instruction, follow their blog.

  •  Glass vase (I purchased mine from Goodwill for $1.99)
  •  Krylon Mirror Spray Paint (must use exact paint).
  • Painters tape and newspaper
  • gloves
  • 50/50 solution of water/white vinegar in a spray bottle

Glass vase and dried hydrangeas

I taped the outside of the vase well.

Vase taped to the gills 🙂

The important thing to remember is, you must spray the INSIDE of the vase.  As you can see, I chose a warm November day to take my project outside.  Make sure to wear gloves.  It was a little tricky to get the mirror paint inside a curvy vase, but, with a little effort, I did.  Paul and Cathy say to spray four light coats, giving one minute of drying time between coats.  I must admit that, because of all of the curves, it took me a few more coats to get everything completely mirrored.

Mirror paint applied to the INSIDE of the vase.

I then took my solution of white vinegar/water in a small spray bottle and sprayed the inside of the vase.  I let it sit for a few minutes.  Then, taking a paper towel, which was also soaked in the solution, I started to rub some of the mirror spray off.  I allowed it to happen organically.  It took a little elbow grease because I think I sprayed too many layers of paint on some of the curves 🙂

You can see the distressed areas on the vase (they look black). You can also see me taking the picture 🙂

Ta-Da!!  It is a beautiful addition to our kitchen table.  The blue doily was my Grandma Amelia’s.

The finished project

Advertisements

Permalink 5 Comments